Confirm Particpation [No Bug]

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Confirm Particpation [No Bug]

Postby pjmasson » 10 Oct 2017, 23:01

I got a confirmation email that my game was ready:

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Mailer: PHPMailer [version 1.73]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 22:00:44 +0200
Subject: Confirm playing Diplomacy game Diplomacy Showdown
To: xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Hello pjmasson,

Game Diplomacy Showdown has the required amount of players and is ready to start. You have to confirm you are playing.

Click here to confirm your participation:
http://www.playdiplomacy.com/games_chec ... 1507653897

If you don't confirm, the game will return to waiting phase, causing delays for all other players.

Please confirm as soon as possible.

The ultimate deadline for confirming is Oct 11 2017 21:00 (GMT).

---
This e-mail was sent automatically. Please do not reply to this e-mail.

http://www.PLAYdiplomacy.com
--

However after clicking the link, the web page was blank (see screen shot) and my "Active Games" is empty, but "My Pending Games" still lists the game as, 'Game status: waiting confirmation"

Maybe this is normal, but as a new player (this is my first game) this is not what I would have expected after confirming in the email.

Thanks all!
Attachments
pd.png
pd.png (38.32 KiB) Viewed 269 times
pjmasson

Re: Confirm Particpation

Postby Hybrid » 10 Oct 2017, 23:09

pjmasson wrote:To: xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx

That sure is one hell of an email address.
-Steve
Hybrid
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1197
All-game rating: 1129
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Charleroi » 11 Oct 2017, 04:33

The game will remain a Pending Game Awaiting Confirmation until all the players have confirmed. If you go to your Pending Games tab you can see which players (and how many) have confirmed. Once everybody confirms the game will start and you'll get another e-mail saying the game has started and telling you which country you are playing.
Charleroi
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1562
All-game rating: 1573
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby pjmasson » 11 Oct 2017, 15:52

Charleroi wrote:The game will remain a Pending Game Awaiting Confirmation until all the players have confirmed. If you go to your Pending Games tab you can see which players (and how many) have confirmed. Once everybody confirms the game will start and you'll get another e-mail saying the game has started and telling you which country you are playing.

Thank you. So the blank screen is not a bug? If not (i.e. a blank web page is the desired result of clicking the confirm link), maybe a feature could be added, one that reports to the user who clicked confirm from the email, what you just told me? Other new users may also find the blank screen confusing like I did.

I do see now also the "confirmed" next to my username in the "Pending Games" tab.

Thanks so much for your reply- Patrick
pjmasson

Re: Confirm Particpation [No Bug]

Postby gareth66 » 11 Oct 2017, 16:20

The other thing that can happen (not that this seems to have been the case here) if you click on the link in the email is that it is possible that by the time you click on it the game may no longer be awaiting confirmation. If a player withdraws after the game goes into awaiting confirmation then it goes back to waiting for players. If you click on the email link in such circumstances I'm not sure exactly what happens but I can imagine it might be something unexpected.
gareth66

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Bugs