Strategy for Alliances in the Long Term?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Strategy for Alliances in the Long Term?

Postby Jont828 » 30 Jun 2017, 16:40

Hey everyone! I've been getting into Diplomacy lately, and I'm not sure how to proceed with the mid/late game. What do you do about your ally once you two have eliminated the odd man out (e.g. Juggernaut vs Austria, England and Germany vs France)? Do you keep the alliance going and try to take down another player, or do you generally try to stab them? Also, what do you do when your ally is ahead on centers? Stab, or try to get more centers and surpass them? For instance, Russia often gets more centers than Turkey from the Juggernaut when the three Western powers are still locked in conflict, and France usually gets the better end of the deal when teaming with England against Germany. Thanks!
Jont828

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Strategy for Alliances in the Long Term?

Postby asudevil » 30 Jun 2017, 17:06

Everything depends. Usually I talk before we finish the odd man out about the SC split to make sure it ends pretty even.

As for what to do next...also depends...if they are still locked into a 3man fight...where they are flipping alliances...then Ill try maybe stab since Im not facing a locked in 2man alliance against me.

Also, where is Italy...in either half...can I get Italy to help me against my ally.

Have I noticed my ally isn't as strong of a tactician/diplomat that I am...where I think I can beat him at the end...so keep him around in a race to 18/stab at the end? Ton of variables to look at
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season [url=http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56016[/url]
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1339
All-game rating: 1513
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Iggy » 30 Jun 2017, 17:12

If the answers to these questions were easy, this game wouldn't be so much fun! :mrgreen:

It really depends on the game. What does the rest of the board look like? What is the most likely outcome if you do __________? Really kind of hard to answer any of these questions without looking at a specific game instance. Even then, there likely isn't 1 "right" answer but rather several possibilities that you have to decide between.

Looking at other game AAR's might be a good way to dissect some of these topics and see how people proceeded in those scenarios.

What do you do about your ally once you two have eliminated the odd man out (e.g. Juggernaut vs Austria, England and Germany vs France)?

Take just this one... Say you are Turkey involved in a juggernaut and Austria is dead or at least mostly dead. What do you do next? Well, what does the rest of the board look like? Is there a strong alliance that has formed in the west that the two of you now have to tackle? If so, stabbing the other maybe suicide. Is the rest of the board unstable? If so, you could stay true and continue to gobble up centers and see how things go. You could also use a well time stab to keep Russia from getting to powerful. But which is the better/right/preferred option? Really hard to say without looking at a given board. Even then there could be multiple right answers.
Iggy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1161
All-game rating: 1152
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 30 Jun 2017, 17:14

And even looking at the map...randomly...without the background coms...still impossible to know for sure what the right move is.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season [url=http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56016[/url]
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1339
All-game rating: 1513
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Iggy » 30 Jun 2017, 17:31

asudevil wrote:And even looking at the map...randomly...without the background coms...still impossible to know for sure what the right move is.

true. that's why reading aar's of games you aren't in can be fun. to try to get some insight into the "why" things happened rather than just seeing what happened.
Iggy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1161
All-game rating: 1152
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby WHSeward » 30 Jun 2017, 20:04

I have posted some basic thoughts on mid-game play that are applicable to your questions in three parts, part 1 for the leaders, part 2 for those behind, and part 3 is general advice. The posts themselves are simple, but the links in those posts to outside articles have more value. Still, the mid-game is one of the under-analyzed portions of Diplomacy in hobby literature.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: 1593
All-game rating: 1606
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to Strategy