COT and SpOOcs

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

COT and SpOOcs

Postby Nibbler » 28 May 2017, 09:41

In 2015 Toby Harris won the World Diplomacy Championship. He was asked to write a series of articles on each power in Diplomacy, which he called "Diplomacy for Experts". Reading the articles in this series showed Toby was a believer in occupying certain spaces and holding on to those spaces (I'll put a series of links at the end).

Toby's articles are based on playing Diplomacy in tournaments. Tournament play is definitely a variant of Dip. Tournament play is about survival to the end, which is usually before the game has finished. They're about establishing a solid base of SCs, as scoring systems are almost exclusively based on the number of SCs held at the end of the game.

When playing a game to the finish - a solo or agreed draw, whatever draw system is used - this idea may not be quite as important but I think it is still carries some weight. I mentioned it in an article on the Black Sea where I called it the Continual Occupation Strategy.

Since then I've been thinking about it and, rather than a strategy I think it is better understood as a theory: I'm going to call it the Continual Occupation Theory (COT) therefore. To put it simply, there are some spaces for each power that should be captured and held (almost) continually. For example, for both Russia and Turkey I suggested that the Black Sea is one such space.

These spaces I call Spaces of Optimal Occupancy (SpOOcs - think hard C as in "continual"). This is Diplomacy - acronyms are a necessity ;)

So I have a question: If COT is important, if there are spaces which are important for each power, such that the power needs to occupy them and keep occupying them, what are these SpOOcs? And is this theory of play relevant?

Austria for Experts
England for Experts (at present, following the transfer of TDP across servers, this article isn't accessible from the Pouch's site).
France for Experts
Germany for Experts
Italy by Experts, Part 1 & Part 2
Russia for Experts
Turkey for Experts - still to come.
Last edited by Nibbler on 29 May 2017, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Nibbler
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (974)
Timezone: GMT

Re: COT and SpOOcs

Postby Jack007 » 28 May 2017, 14:47

Thanks for the posting. A really nice Sunday morning lecture through the offered links. Just one thing: the link to the Austria for Experts article points to a wrong page, or did I miss the point?
Thanks anyway, great stuff.

Edit: Thanks for fixing the link. :)
Last edited by Jack007 on 29 May 2017, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
Jack007 (3 Stars) stripped off all medals by the admiralty partially rehabilitated
Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
- Bushido (The book of the samurais)
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1177
All-game rating: 1539
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby asudevil » 28 May 2017, 17:26

Nice...although England and Turkey (my crappiest countries) aren't here yet. I hope you are able to find them still
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season [url=http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56016[/url]
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1355
All-game rating: 1525
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Nibbler » 29 May 2017, 10:24

asudevil wrote:Nice...although England and Turkey (my crappiest countries) aren't here yet. I hope you are able to find them still

The article on England is missing. Turkey's should be the next issue, I think.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Nibbler
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (974)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Strategy