Good draw rate, can't Solo

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Good draw rate, can't Solo

Postby Carebear » 10 Mar 2017, 17:04

Zubb wrote:PS How do you search for someone's threads? This option should definetely be available on phpBB, but I can't find it :oops:

Advanced Search under the search box in the upper right.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby gsmx » 10 Mar 2017, 18:43

Zubb wrote:PS How do you search for someone's threads? This option should definetely be available on phpBB, but I can't find it :oops:

Just click on the persons name over to the right of the post and from there you can click a link to view all their posts. There's also an advanced search in the forum if you want to search by author, keyword, subsection, etc. Forum is pretty solid here.
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx
Premium Member

Standard rating: 2172
All-game rating: 2574
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Charleroi » 10 Mar 2017, 18:53

Reading anything written by thewysecat is an excellent suggestion. I just took a tour through some of his AARs myself. If you only have time to read one and really want a view into the thinking (early on and then throughout) that leads to a solo, I would recommend this one:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=53125
Charleroi
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1553
All-game rating: 1585
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Zubb » 10 Mar 2017, 19:26

Thanks everyone!

I've mastered the search of forums and have read the articles suggested and a couple of wise Wyse AAR's.

Quite a read indeed. I'm not sure I have any more general questions before trying the new mindset in practice... :oops:
Zubb
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1235)
All-game rating: (1396)
Timezone: GMT+3

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 10 Mar 2017, 20:15

Guns of Brixton wrote:I'm hurt, Nanook... I thought I taught you how to solo!

You taught me how to recognize a solo coming, an equally if not greater lesson ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

France

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1190
All-game rating: 1288
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby thewysecat » 10 Mar 2017, 21:15

gsmx wrote: Likability:

^ I can't help anyone with this piece.

Happy Solo- attempting.
Draws are not wins.

Wyse out
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby WHSeward » 10 Mar 2017, 21:47

thewysecat wrote:
gsmx wrote: Likability:

^ I can't help anyone with this piece.

Proof that it is over-rated.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: 1593
All-game rating: 1606

Postby Robospierrebot » 11 Mar 2017, 21:26

Good points, only thing I'd add is, from the mid-game on, keep an eye out for what you need for 18.

Most countries have a fairly logical set of centers to get to 18, and not too much changes in most solos. I find it very useful to think in terms of of what I need for a secure path to 18. Once you have enough centers, people are often going to team up to hold you from a solo. Thus, it can be worth it to forgo some gains that would be hard to hold on to, in order to get the set you think will actually get you to 18.

Looking at stalemate lines helps too. You don't have to sit and memorize them. A few games holding another player back from a solo really helps you learn the different spaces you need to hold a section of the board. This is particularly important if you have a long term alliance with a nearby partner. For instance, I've had a few games with an E/G alliance or R/T alliance where the two of us began to vastly outnumber all the other players in center count. In these instances, securing a stalemate line against your partner while you still have room to grow can be very helpful.
Robospierrebot

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 11 Mar 2017, 23:49

from the mid-game start of the game on

The rest of this is great advice, but you should have an idea of where your 18 are going to be from the first year on, and you adjust that 18 as necessary when game circumstances dictate it.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

France

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1190
All-game rating: 1288
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby gsmx » 12 Mar 2017, 02:24

Never been a center counter myself, and especially not from the start of the game. Stalemate lines are good to have a handle on and keep in the back of your head, but i find the people who tend to obsess over them more are those who get more focussed on stopping solos then they are the one's who are trying to achieve them.

I like a more organic game and if a solo becomes available it's probably more the result of a diplomatically based strategy over a tactically scientific one.
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx
Premium Member

Standard rating: 2172
All-game rating: 2574

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy