The Game of Diplomacy by Richard Sharp

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: The Game of Diplomacy by Richard Sharp

Postby Conq » 10 Feb 2017, 20:18

Octavious wrote:I tend to avoid guides on strategy. As soon as you've learned a "right" way of doing something you've made yourself more predictable and less likely to do something interesting and dynamic.

Everyone has their own natural style. I dare say Sharp was pretty good, but his advice will be tailored to his style, and you will never be a better Sharp than Sharp. Best just to explore your own style and find what kind of play works for you.

I guess it depends on what you're using Sharp for. I wouldn't read his guide and decide to use all of his preferred openings and alliance pairings. What I would do, is read through the kinds of considerations he makes, and the kinds of messaging he suggests. There are treasures in his writings that go well beyond what moves or alliances might work the best.

But mainly, he is a talented and amusing writer who will hold your interest. That's why his book has so much staying power.
Conq
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 2420
All-game rating: 2594
Timezone: GMT-8

Previous

Return to Strategy