Is there an online "board and pieces" to test out moves?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Is there an online "board and pieces" to test out moves?

Postby Kidcharlemagne68 » 02 Feb 2017, 18:48

I was wondering if there was a tool somewhere to test out moves. I don't need rules enforced, just a board and pieces. I know I could use the board game but an app would be so much easier. Thanks all!
Kidcharlemagne68

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1025)
All-game rating: (1025)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Is there an online "board and pieces" to test out moves?

Postby WHSeward » 02 Feb 2017, 18:54

On our home page is the Orders Solver. You enter the orders and it tells you what happens.

If you want a graphic interface, you can download JDip. There are other Dip websites too.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1633
All-game rating: 1647
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Kidcharlemagne68 » 02 Feb 2017, 20:37

Yea I saw JDip and it's the closest thing I've seen thus far but it's not easy to just move units. I really need like a sandbox board. Thanks
Kidcharlemagne68

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1025)
All-game rating: (1025)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Bromley86 » 02 Feb 2017, 22:07

Backstabbr is the one you want. The site suffers (or did when I last played) from massive NMRs, but the sandbox is very good.

EDIT: Just reread the OP, and JDip is a better fit, as the Backstabbr sandbox doesn't let you parachute pieces into place.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1884
All-game rating: 2257
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby bkwrm79 » 06 Jun 2017, 18:38

I'm looking for the same thing. There used to be a java thing somewhere but either my link is bad or it no longer works (I have just resumed playing Diplomacy after many years).

I will try JDip, thanks for that rec.
bkwrm79

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Strategy