Strategy: Art of the Consigliere

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Strategy: Art of the Consigliere

Postby Carebear » 08 Feb 2017, 18:20

mwalsh9 wrote:But I'm getting the sense reading the forum that such a move on this site might be bad form?

I am not sure I understand what you think would be bad form. Can you state it more clearly?
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby DirtyHarry » 09 Feb 2017, 19:28

Sorry for not being more clear. Let me ask my question a different way. Is back-stabbing generally viewed as just part of the game, and forgotten when that particular game is over? I supposed I'd be more wary of allying with someone who'd back-stabbed me before, but depending on the game circumstances, it probably wouldn't stop me from allying with them if it seemed like the best chance to win.
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1301
All-game rating: 1310
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Carebear » 09 Feb 2017, 19:38

mwalsh9 wrote:Is back-stabbing generally viewed as just part of the game, and forgotten when that particular game is over?

Yes, back-stabbing is viewed as part of the game. Yes, a stab in a prior game should not be used as a reason for attacking someone in a different game. That reasoning is considered bad form. And, I believe the site rules make it a form of meta-gaming and punishable.

mwalsh9 wrote:I supposed I'd be more wary of allying with someone who'd back-stabbed me before, but depending on the game circumstances, it probably wouldn't stop me from allying with them if it seemed like the best chance to win.

This would be the correct attitude. I have played a game where a player stabbed me three times in that game. The first two times we worked it out as I made a good case of the board situation requiring us to work together. The third stab was an attempt to throw a solo which did not work. So, even within a game, I will work with a stabber if it makes sense. Smart Diplomacy players should always consider the end result, not the emotional need.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby GENPershing » 10 Feb 2017, 03:35

Its always good not to take back stabbing personal. If we did, we wouldn't have anybody to play with on this site.
Sliver Member of Classicist, and a Star Ambassador (at heart)
I was born, in a crossfire HURRICANE!!
Been gone for a long time, and I'm happy to be back
GENPershing
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1031)
All-game rating: (1027)
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Strategy