Strategy: Art of the Consigliere

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Strategy: Art of the Consigliere

Postby gsmx » 08 Jul 2016, 03:34

For many players in this game, they limit their focus to what's right in front of them at that moment in time. They only look at what directly effects them in their personal bubble - looking to make deals to get them further ahead or to protect their interests, figuring out who best to align with to get far in the game, adjusting as they go. Better players look at the big picture, they know what happens across the board is going to effect them so they keep their fingers in as much as absolutely possible. Not everybody can do this, it takes a special set of skills and the proper perspective to accomplish.

Here's a few tips.

1) Talk to Everybody/Talk Often
This one you've heard a million times but it bears repeating. No matter how outside of your world another player may be, build a relationship with them extremely early and continue to invest in it. Helping another player doesn't always require being able to provide a support to an attack, it can be as simple as providing good advice on something that they may not have thought of or helping them with some information they may not have been privvy to. There's a lot of really good reasons why you may want to do this. Sure it helps in building stronger relationships, but more importantly it helps you start to control the peices a bit more. If you can add value in the right places you can start to control tempo of the board to help ensure the wrong players aren't getting too successful at the wrong time and players that could have a negative effect on your game are properly distracted elsewhere. You need to really learn to hone your personality when it comes to this because it's very easy to come on too strong and get yourself labelled as a silver-tounged devil. You need a gentle touch here, the one's who are really good at this are able to do it in a way that they merely nudge conversations in a certain desired direction and allow the other person to come to the conclusion themselves.

Less Good:
Me: Hey .. been talking to Turkey lately about stabbing our ally Russia. We should do it, you can get a couple centers and i can get a couple centers and we'l both be kinda strong and Turkey won't matter cause we can deal with him later i guess.

Better:
Me: "Ugh, as much as i love this triple alliance it's so much work trying to get Russia to carry his weight. It's frustrating, but what can ya do eh? Hope he's trustworthy, much longer he's going to outgrow us."
Ally: "It's terrible. Ya know, maybe we don't even need him anymore. If we moved now we could really catch him off guard and do massive damage!!"
Me: "Really, think so? I guess if you think it's a smart move i'll follow your lead. Turkey's been petitioning for years...want me to talk to him about coordinating something?"

2) Keep Those Spirits Up
This one is a pain in the ass, but we've all suffered through the negative impacts of a player losing their fire for a particular game and start mentally withdrawing from the game to the benefit of another player. This is where you need to grab the pom-poms and keep them motivated so your competition doesn't quickly gobble them up and fast track their way to a win. There's a tonne of ways to do this, you just need to figure out what works. Sometimes it's motivational speeches, sometimes it's designing overly intricate strategies that gives them a glimmer of hope of getting back on track in the game, it may just require being an overly fun and interesting player that makes it worth sticking around for the laughs.

Even these don't work all the time in which case you need to really work overtime to try to save your position. Some players are ok with doing bare-minimum and just showing up once a round to just plug in whatever orders you feed to them, if you can get that to happen then you should be ok. In really desperation times you can resort to strong soliciation for them to either find a substitute or a straight up surrender to give you a chance to salvage an alliance. It's never easy to make somebody care who doesn't and usually requires a tonne of work.

3) Be The Gossip Buddy
Some players really enjoy venting their frustrations, if you have somebody like that in your game be that ear they vent to. You get a lot of good and useful information this way. There's even times where they'll give enough rope to hang themselves with, but i'd urge caution towards abusing discretionary conversations as nothing closes a useful stream of information faster then getting a reputation of having loose lips.

4) Be Their Focus in Bad Times Too
There's two natural instincts that occur when somebody feels betrayed, giving the disloyal player a blast of shit and beginning new plans against that person. The more you can get them to focus on the former the less time they'll get to spend on the latter. If there's ambiguity if it was intentional disloyalty, spend hours debating it to keep them questioning it. If they're over the edge, perhaps this is the type of player they plays poorly when over-emotional so may be worthwhile to invest further in that. I've been on the wrong side of this in the past where slick players have managed to tap into my temper and keep my locked in go-nowhere essays worth of circular debate over semantics while attempting to task me to dig through message history to prove their intentional betrayal. I wasn't always savvy enough to realize it was just busy work and took the bait in an attempt to prove their evilness. It takes falling into this once or twice to realize you'd been played and your time would have been much more productive planning next steps.

Even once the rift is cemented in, continue to try to keep the conversation going as there's still a lot a player can give away about their intentions so long as that dialog is still going. As time goes on find ways to ease the tension and plant seeds for later potential opportunities to reconcile, many a player's revenge plans go only as deep as their most recent betrayer. Good players know to be diplomatically adaptable and don't accept bridges are completely burned until the last ember burns out.
Last edited by gsmx on 09 Jul 2016, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 2172
All-game rating: 2574
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Strategy: Art of the Consigliere

Postby gsmx » 08 Jul 2016, 05:49

Please share your stories or ideas on this!
Last edited by gsmx on 09 Jul 2016, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
gsmx
Premium Member

Re: Strategy: Art of the Conciliary

Postby Octavious » 08 Jul 2016, 12:43

I take a slightly different view in terms of trying to influence all corners of the game, based on two fundamental truths. Firstly I'm not that good at it, and secondly it's rare that I start a game with an idealized version of how it will go. As such I tend not to have a master plan to bend people to even if I thought I could. My read of the game tends to be pretty good (indeed, I consider it one of my strengths), but it takes time to develop. It's only when I have a good feel of what is possible that I make any great effort to influence the far flung regions of the board. Until then, aside from discouraging the more obviously harmful alliances from forming, I am more than happy to let the game develop organically.

Even without a pressing desire to influence everyone from the off, I am a great believer in establishing good relations with each player early on. There's no need to be best mates with everyone, but a good working relationship is what I tend to aim for. Something akin to what you'd have with Julie from the Facilities Department, or the regiment's Quartermaster, or the girl who sits near the front of class with the full set of coloured pencils. The tone I generally go for is one of two equals who consider each other to be amongst the top players on the board. Occasionally this is even true, but when it isn't it's a lie people like to believe.

Good relations are the grease that helps the game go smoothly. It opens up a whole host of options that are otherwise closed. If you attack a player who doesn't like you he becomes an enemy for the rest of the game. If you attack someone with whom you have mutual respect you are often able to return to peace later if need be, or even create a minor power who decides his best interests lie in helping you advance close to a solo. A foreign player who has a good relationship with you is far more likely to consider you in a new alliance, far less likely to want you eliminated in draw thinning, and far more likely to discuss future strategy with you.

They are also a little less likely to stab you, but never allow yourself to believe that good relations are a stab proof vest. Especially in higher quality games. What good relations do give you is a much better position to repair the damage from a stab when it happens.
Guaaaaaaak!
Octavious

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1119)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT

Postby gsmx » 08 Jul 2016, 17:29

All terrific points, and by all means i was never intended to imply i walk in with a master plan. At best i've walked in with a shell of a plan that i know will need to be amended a million times as i go and generally with Plan B and Plan C's being set up in concurrence. When you've got 7 guys with their own agendas all trying to come out on top almost never do things go completely to plan.
Last edited by gsmx on 09 Jul 2016, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
gsmx
Premium Member

Re: Strategy: Art of the Conciliary

Postby rd45 » 09 Jul 2016, 23:10

Conciliary?
Consigliere?
rd45

Standard rating: 1352
All-game rating: 1374

Postby gsmx » 09 Jul 2016, 23:19

I was all excited for a minute there when I thought I found somebody new wanted to banter over strategy talk, but alas just a spell check.

Seems the forum has cooled down a bit since I last in regular circulation.

(Thanks for the correction though)
gsmx
Premium Member

Postby Carebear » 10 Jul 2016, 04:23

Yes, I try to play the part of the consigliere often. I also offer the position to others in an effort to draw them into my sphere of influence.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby gsmx » 10 Jul 2016, 04:50

Carebear wrote:Yes, I try to play the part of the consigliere often. I also offer the position to others in an effort to draw them into my sphere of influence.

Interesting. Any stories of that working out?
gsmx
Premium Member

Postby Fatmo » 10 Jul 2016, 05:00

Hmm, interesting topic. Marking this so I can come back later. Been awake for about the last 36 hours, so maybe I'll come back when I can put thoughts together.

Even though I'm not playing or coming around here much lately, I love these strategy threads, even if I'm just occasionally lurking about seeing if anything interesting comes up. I'm sure there are plenty of people who learn a lot just watching these threads.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.
Fatmo

Standard rating: 1095
All-game rating: 1053

Postby Octavious » 10 Jul 2016, 10:22

Is this a good moment to confess to knowing neither what a Consigliere, nor indeed a Conciliary, actually are?
Guaaaaaaak!
Octavious

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1119)
All-game rating: (1126)

Next

Return to Strategy