saving builds

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42845

saving builds

Postby jimbobicus » 11 Jan 2018, 14:10

Hi,
I have a question about how to save builds...
Lets suppose I get 1 build but prefer to save it instead of use it this year, presumably I can just choose not to put it on the board. However, will this then count as a NMR? Especially in protected games, this could be a massive issue.
Thanks,
Jim
"A friend to all is a friend to none" - Aristotle
jimbobicus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1758
All-game rating: 1662
Timezone: GMT

Re: saving builds

Postby V » 11 Jan 2018, 14:14

Failure to build isn’t a NMR. Mainly because you might not have an open home SC in which to do a build & then an NMR would be an obvious injustice:-)

Cheers V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1674
All-game rating: 1699
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby NJLonghorn » 11 Jan 2018, 15:14

When I saw the thread title, I thought the topic was going to be “Rarely Employed Strategies.”
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1175
All-game rating: 1181
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Nibbler » 11 Jan 2018, 15:44

Maybe worth pointing out, in case someone picks the wrong idea about this, that if you choose not to build that build might be lost.

Let's say I have a build in 1905 and I choose not to use it. At the end of 1906, the adjustments are recalculated. I may have lost an SC by then and no longer eligible to build. The opportunity I had to build in 05 has gone.

You can't save or bank builds, as such. You can pass on the opportunity to build that year but, that doesn't allow you to build a unit later unless your SC to unit calculation is positive in the future. Use it or possibly lose it!
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Across the Board
Nibbler
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (974)

Postby gareth66 » 11 Jan 2018, 18:08

True, but as long as you do not lose any SCs you will be able to build it in a later build phase.

There are two common (and valid) reasons for doing this. One is that it is a way of demonstrating good faith to an ally (if, for example, building would result in a unit that could potentially threaten him). The other is if you want to build a fleet but your only vacant SCs are inland.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby jimbobicus » 12 Jan 2018, 00:23

Yes, those are common reasons. Another reason still is that you want to keep your options open.

So to clarify.. if I choose not to enter a build, it won't count as NMR? Presumably then it's impossible for anyone to NMR on a build phase?
"A friend to all is a friend to none" - Aristotle
jimbobicus

Standard rating: 1758
All-game rating: 1662

Postby Shyvve » 12 Jan 2018, 01:28

Nor can one NMR on a retreat phase.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1242
All-game rating: 1279
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Jack007 » 12 Jan 2018, 16:23

jimbobicus wrote:Yes, those are common reasons. Another reason still is that you want to keep your options open.

Another reason could be to make everybody believe that you left the game. And then to strike hard, when the wolves gather to pick up the pie.
:mrgreen:
Jack007 (3 Stars) stripped off all medals by the admiralty partially rehabilitated
Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
- Bushido (The book of the samurais)
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1193
All-game rating: 1546
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby jay65536 » 12 Jan 2018, 19:15

Here's a related question. Let's say you enter your build, then later decide you'd rather waive it. Is there a way to do that?
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1090
All-game rating: 1096
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby GPD » 12 Jan 2018, 20:03

jay65536 wrote:Here's a related question. Let's say you enter your build, then later decide you'd rather waive it. Is there a way to do that?
Press the little (X) by the order, and it will cancel it.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Never NMR(Damnit!), Never Surrender
Pending Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017
GPD

Standard rating: 1779
All-game rating: 1812

Return to Rules Questions