Rules about discussion

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Rules about discussion

Postby mhsmith0 » 06 Dec 2017, 04:00

What if any rules exist with respect to discussing active games with players not involved? I.e. is it considered fine to ramble to friends about things provided it’s understood by all that no advice is given or offered? Or is that an issue?
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1212
All-game rating: 1440
Timezone: GMT

Re: Rules about discussion

Postby edmgrim » 06 Dec 2017, 04:04

My interpretation of this policy is that no active games on DIPLOMACY.COM may be discussed publicly or privately within the confines of DIPLOMACY.COM or through any other channels with other members of the DIPLOMACY.COM community.

But in the privacy of my living room. Or at the local gaming store, where I am talking with casual friends who have no direct link to this site, discussion is allowed.
edmgrim

Standard rating: 1049
All-game rating: 1057
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby mhsmith0 » 06 Dec 2017, 04:21

That seems kind of weirdly restrictive to me but... ok? If there’s onfirmation that’s be cool fwiw,
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Postby Iggy » 06 Dec 2017, 05:25

You definitely aren't allowed to post a thread asking for specific advice. I'd consider it a little weird to say you couldn't have a private discussion with someone about a game, whether that is via pm on the site, private emails, face to face, etc.

As long as it isn't an anonymous game so that you could accidentally talk to someone in the game, seems you should be able to discuss a game with a friend. Would seem very strict to preclude something like that to me.
Iggy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1154
All-game rating: 1147
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mhsmith0 » 06 Dec 2017, 05:34

Iggy wrote:You definitely aren't allowed to post a thread asking for specific advice. I'd consider it a little weird to say you couldn't have a private discussion with someone about a game, whether that is via pm on the site, private emails, face to face, etc.

As long as it isn't an anonymous game so that you could accidentally talk to someone in the game, seems you should be able to discuss a game with a friend. Would seem very strict to preclude something like that to me.

I tend to agree but policy is policy. “Are you alive in any games” is probably a fine way to get around any possible anon issues fwiw, but the main thing is to be compliant w policy I guess. Personally I think it ought to be fine to vent and chat but mainly I want to know whether what I think should be fine actually is fine *shrugs*
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 06 Dec 2017, 05:43

mhsmith0 wrote:What if any rules exist with respect to discussing active games with players not involved? I.e. is it considered fine to ramble to friends about things provided it’s understood by all that no advice is given or offered? Or is that an issue?

(I say this tentatively, and other mods can correct me if I'm mistaken)

My understanding is that it's pretty much a case by case basis...as long as you're not asking for advice and they're not helping you...it's fine to discuss, in a private setting (i.e., not on the forum, because if it can be seen by other players in the game then it could influence them, and that's a no-no). But if it's like a swapping stories thing between friends...that's usually fine. Like if you tell a friend "Oh my god, you won't believe this crazy convoy we just pulled off!" That's probably fine...but if you're asking them "Hey is this convoy a good idea?" or you're putting it in the forum...that's not kosher.

Hope that makes sense?
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

France

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1196
All-game rating: 1392
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mhsmith0 » 06 Dec 2017, 05:58

Yes, quite. That was my understanding as well but when I saw a post that seemed to hint otherwise (I think while looking up something else of rules) I figured I’d double check.

Like, “ :D I’m doing well in this game” and “ugh I can’t believe how badly I’m doing there” seem like the epitome of fine things to chat on but obv I don’t make the rules :P
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Postby edmgrim » 06 Dec 2017, 07:31

mhsmith0 wrote:Yes, quite. That was my understanding as well but when I saw a post that seemed to hint otherwise (I think while looking up something else of rules) I figured I’d double check.

Like, “ :D I’m doing well in this game” and “ugh I can’t believe how badly I’m doing there” seem like the epitome of fine things to chat on but obv I don’t make the rules :P

I think stuff like this is always OK. It is when you get into specifics of a game that you are entering gray areas. I have engaged in numerous "This one time, in band camp" discussions.
edmgrim

Standard rating: 1049
All-game rating: 1057
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby super_dipsy » 06 Dec 2017, 08:24

These sort of areas are always a bit tricky in an online community ;)

First to clarify what the Site Rules actually say on this, there are perhaps four relevant bits that relate to discussions out-of-game discussions.

- If the game is an Anonymous game you must not break that anonymity with other site members
- Team play is not allowed
- Discussing an active game on the forum is not allowed
- Trying to influence a game through the forum is not allowed

As you can see, these guidelines are fairly narrow. For example, if I live next door to a Diplomacy expert, there is nothing there to stop me asking for the occasional piece of advice. However the rule on team play means if this is anything other than a now and then thing, I would be guilty of 'team play'.

However, they are guidelines. Because it has hard to bound these things, the intent is these guidelines support actions of the Mods. Frankly, I think most people on site who are here because they enjoy Diplomacy would have a pretty common sense view of what is / is not OK :), and the aim of the Mods is to match that common sense approach. So for example, if an inexperienced player asks a question about how to use two units to block a territory without moving into it, this may be to help him in an active game. If the player is only in one or two active games and they are not anonymous, it would be pretty easy to work out which active game is being discussed. But no Mod is going to take any punitive action on that; it may technically contravene the rule, but the common sense view would say that's fine.

So basically, the guidelines are as above but remember Mods will try to add common sense into the mix.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Return to Site Rules