Maybe not cheating, but definitely cheesy...

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Re: Maybe not cheating, but definitely cheesy...

Postby V » 04 Jun 2017, 21:57

Indeed cheating accusation in public press, which is against the site rules (followed by apology, when realising how hot that water could have been) & has the audacity to complain about the behaviour of other participants. I sense an "entitlement" issue maybe...
Disappointed & frustration are quite normal when involved in a contest. Cheating accusations & ridiculous proposals for unjustified rule changes, not so much...
Platinum Classicist
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1672
All-game rating: 1697
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby beowulf7 » 05 Jun 2017, 10:47

Never been a fan of those who whine and complain about others who find a way to gain advantage. Anyone who studied the history of the game would applaud working right up to the edge of the rules.

This guy point it in a way I could not better (for obvious reasons)
http://www.servercontent.com/dipzine/2010_01_12.htm
beowulf7

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (973)
All-game rating: (975)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Goldain » 05 Jun 2017, 14:50

mjparrett wrote:Its just his nature. A couple of bitter cheating accusation posts recently and now this.. :roll:

Funny mjparrett. You stalking my forum posts now dude? Let it go. I made a report that was validated by the mods as a good report. You were cleared of any wrongdoing. There was nothing "bitter" about it. I saw behavior that was inexplicable and what looked for all intents like new accounts (had no idea you had changed your name), so I reported it. If there were no grounds, the mods would have dismissed it without it ever hitting the boards. They agreed the report was good but said despite the unbelievable moves, there was no cheating and that was the end of it. The only one "bitter" is you, bruh. Bygones, man.

Say it with me....Gooooooossssfrabaaaaa
Goldain
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1194
All-game rating: 1233

Postby Goldain » 05 Jun 2017, 14:55

V wrote:Indeed cheating accusation in public press, which is against the site rules (followed by apology, when realising how hot that water could have been) & has the audacity to complain about the behaviour of other participants. I sense an "entitlement" issue maybe...
Disappointed & frustration are quite normal when involved in a contest. Cheating accusations & ridiculous proposals for unjustified rule changes, not so much...

Technically, it wasn't an accusation. I said "it looks like". As soon as I posted it, I realized even that was likely over the line, so I self-reported myself to the admins explaining there was no way to delete the comment but that I realized it may have crossed the line and I issued an apology in the public thread.

No entitlement issue, just saying when people act based on the existing game parameters only to have them change with less than a minute to go by someone who obviously did that deliberately (as all the moves were pre-planned) is a little cheesy, that's all. Are people not allowed to have opinions now, or only if they agree with you?
Goldain
Premium Member

Postby Guns of Brixton » 05 Jun 2017, 17:45

Agreed that mjp is a bit over-the-top but I still don't see what's 'cheesy' about trying to join a game in a way that gives you maximum advantage. You join a game like that and you're going to take over a poor position made worse by the fact that everyone left in the game is likely going to take as much advantage of the surrender as possible. You try to mitigate that a bit by tactically joining in the last second so you can at least try to wrong-foot the others. The centres that he ended up tricking you out of were not centres you would have by right. They are centres that would have been gifted to you because someone quit the game. Why is that unfair or 'cheesy'?

That's all I and I think most posters here (besides those who may have a personal vendetta) are trying to say. No one is stifling your opinion - just challenging it.
Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1673
All-game rating: 1747

Postby mjparrett » 06 Jun 2017, 00:27

Sorry - I should make it clear my post is more tongue in cheek than serious vendetta. Me and the OP clearly weren't compatible in a game but I don't do grudges. Sorry if that was the tone you got. BUT you accused me with no evidence other than you didn't like my moves, and have since accused someone else (again cleared), and then made that (as you admit tbh) questionable PP comment on multi accounting. I was merely making the point that it sounds a bit like sour grapes - when things don't go well you complain.

But lets not make this about me/us. I agree with the general response that there is nothing wrong with the actions - they are using something to give them an advantage. No different from many of the other sly tactics a lot of us use. And surely still better that someone picks it up rather than the game potentially swung too much in your favour by you picking up cheap and easy SCs?
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1309
All-game rating: 1323

Postby Goldain » 06 Jun 2017, 06:25

Guns of Brixton wrote:Agreed that mjp is a bit over-the-top but I still don't see what's 'cheesy' about trying to join a game in a way that gives you maximum advantage. You join a game like that and you're going to take over a poor position made worse by the fact that everyone left in the game is likely going to take as much advantage of the surrender as possible. You try to mitigate that a bit by tactically joining in the last second so you can at least try to wrong-foot the others. The centres that he ended up tricking you out of were not centres you would have by right. They are centres that would have been gifted to you because someone quit the game. Why is that unfair or 'cheesy'?

That's all I and I think most posters here (besides those who may have a personal vendetta) are trying to say. No one is stifling your opinion - just challenging it.

Fair enough. And yes, I don't feel a "right" to empty centers, but there is not a person on this board that could convince me they wouldn't try a grab at free, wide-open centers if there was a surrendered country on the board. I don't believe anyone is so "principled" that they would pass on free grabs as if there were a live player. No issues with someone joining, and yeah, I guess the "catching off guard" aspect of a last-second join and order might be a reason for someone to do it. I don't like it when people quit games (especially when they still have a very viable condition). I've managed to bring countries back from the edge of elimination just by whispering the right words in the right ears. It ain't over 'till it's over.

Still, all I was saying was that people plan and enter moves not on what "should" be, but what the board reality is. If it wasn't for quitters, this wouldn't even be a question, but for someone to deliberately alter that reality seconds before a turn goes off just seems, in my humble and quite possibly misguided opinion, to be a cheesy way to play.
Goldain
Premium Member

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 06 Jun 2017, 08:56

It's been established this is acceptable behavior, and this is degenerating into name calling and back and forths now. As such, I'm locking this topic before we devolve further into insults.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Blitzkrieg

Cornubia

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1190
All-game rating: 1288
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby gareth66 » 06 Jun 2017, 09:06

Thanks Nanook, was just about to lock this myself.

For the record, I have dealt with two posts in the Cheaters forum from Goldain. In one case I replied that it was "not the best report", and in the other I let the brevity of my reply convey what I thought of the report. In neither case was the accusation ratified as a "good report".

All players are directed towards the Cheaters forum as the correct place to post any further concerns about cheating if they feel they have enough evidence to do so. If you think the evidence is thin (as it was in the case of both of Goldain's reports) then the better course of action is to contact the mods privately by PM.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Previous

Return to Site Rules