Gunboat Games + Anonymous

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Gunboat Games + Anonymous

Postby rathpa » 12 Jun 2015, 18:23

For gunboat games where participation / country assignment within the game is anonymous, does that mean that friends can't join a game as an outright rule or that friends can join but can't communicate as to their country assignment, etc.?

I know of a few friends who want to play but unfortunately don't have enough friends to start a full game.
rathpa

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (967)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Gunboat Games + Anonymous

Postby condude1 » 12 Jun 2015, 19:58

In a ranked game, I don't think it's allowed, in a friends game, that's totally legit.
GM of Second Chance Mafia, Now in Day 3, and seeking reserves! Countdown Timer here.

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1368
All-game rating: 1307

Postby rathpa » 12 Jun 2015, 20:12

Thank you. What about for an unranked but open to the public game? I don't have enough friends to create a 'friends' game.
rathpa

Postby Lukan » 12 Jun 2015, 22:49

Still make it a friends game, so people know what they are signing up for. In an unranked game it is implied that nobody knows eachother at all.
Lukan

Location: The best country in the world (no offence to all other countries that exist)
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1911)
All-game rating: (1975)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Alman » 13 Jun 2015, 00:12

Lukan wrote:Still make it a friends game, so people know what they are signing up for. In an unranked game it is implied that nobody knows eachother at all.

This is exactly right. Make it a friends game but then put in the description that everyone is welcome. You can even advertise it in the forum to help fill it up. I've joined open friends games before to help fill things up.

Good luck.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
Turkey in "Blitzkrieg" PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Standard rating: 1440
All-game rating: 1562
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rathpa » 13 Jun 2015, 00:20

I thought friends game require a password? How would I get others to join?
rathpa

Postby Alman » 13 Jun 2015, 00:30

You can publish the password in the forum with your announcement or simply ask people to PM you for the password.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
Turkey in "Blitzkrieg" PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Standard rating: 1440
All-game rating: 1562
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rathpa » 13 Jun 2015, 00:49

Okay, I'll do that now. Thank you!
rathpa

Postby rick.leeds » 13 Jun 2015, 15:55

Going to move this to the site rules section after this but I wanted to clarify things first.

There is no restriction to any players playing any games on the site, with the exception of non-premium and Ambassador/Diplomat restrictions.

A group of friends can play any game, whether this Ranked, No Rank or Friends; whethrr anonymous, Gunboat, etc. The only thing that matters is that the site's rules of fair play are followed. In other words, providing you're not cheating, it doesn't matter what game you're playing.

Having said that, Gunboat is especially difficult in this position, and even moreso if you're sharing a computer. You'd need to make sure there was absolutely no evidence within the game that might suggest some sort of cheating.

So what has been said above is good advice to avoid any confusion over possible cheating but the Site Rules don't carry any restrictions of this nature.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Jegpeg » 13 Jun 2015, 22:53

Rick, While the site mechanics only have restrictions for premium/non premium and ambassador/diplomat. In my opinion friends playing in anonymous games is always against house rules.

General rule 12 states All players in the game should be treated equally.

With anonymous players games knowing that your friend is in the game gives you knowledge that is not available for other players and therefore friends making up some of the players in an anon players game is incompatible with rule 12.

Anon countries and all gunboat games are OK by definition but as you point out you need to be vary careful to avoid cheating in such circumstances.
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1090)
All-game rating: (1378)
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Site Rules