Losing Ranking Points

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Re: Losing Ranking Points

Postby WHSeward » 26 Jan 2015, 01:36

Just looks like a bug to me. That game ended on the day the site was having problems. You can see the map was corrupted too.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1633
All-game rating: 1647
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Guns of Brixton » 26 Jan 2015, 08:52

Ok, makes sense I suppose. Thanks.
Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1663
All-game rating: 1733
Timezone: GMT

Postby super_dipsy » 26 Jan 2015, 16:00

Just to confirm. The game the player won was one which got caught in the site problems last week during the end of game processing. I had to manually update the ratings, which were done correctly. You will notice the total games played is correct on the General tab, but because I had to do the ratings manually some of the general stats tables were not updated. However if you had looked at the Statistics tab for the player in the PureDip category you would have seen the correct total and the solo listed there. I do not plan to go back and adjust the other tables for players in affected games; there were only a handful, and the important thing is that the ratings are correct :)
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby Jack007 » 26 Jan 2015, 17:32

gareth66 wrote:No, that's immaterial.

The number of points you lose depends on the ranking points of you and your opponents at the end of the game, the outcome of the game, and the number of games you have already played under the ranking system.

I just fell over this statement and am wondering. While I know about the first two rules, I wasn't aware of the third, that the number of played games has an influence on the rating.

Can please somebody confirm, and maybe explain how this works and why?

Thanks.
Jack007 (3 Stars) stripped off all medals by the admiralty
Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
- Bushido (The book of the samurais)
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1183
All-game rating: 1551
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby super_dipsy » 26 Jan 2015, 19:00

You will find reference to this in the Site Scoring System detailshttp://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=565, but to save you scouring through the rather densely packed thread, I'll answer it here! :)

Most ELO-like scoring systems (that score you based on your 'expected' performance given the opposition you face) try to get you to roughly the right sort of playing level as quickly as possible. This does not mean you are stuck there, but it is to quickly get you to a point where you have an idea what sort of level you are currently playing at and therefore which sort of games are going to be the most fun for you. So if I take a simple example of chess (nice and easy, just 2 players and win/draw/loss as the result!) then a new player coming in is going to be pretty fed up if they have to play people of wildly different capabilities than their own. If you keep getting experts or weak players and you are in the middle, it is not much fun.

So what smarter systems do is try to rush you to the right sort of area as fast as possible (within reason) so you can choose similarly capable people to play against. In the early part of a player's record, this is largely guesswork; there is little history to go on. As the record grows, it gets easier and easier. So what the system does is there is a weighting factor reflecting how many games you have played, and as your record grows it damps down the results to stop situations where you are still fluctuating wildly with one good or bad result. Early on, swings for winning or losing will be magnified to get you to the 'right' place quickly, but after that the swings get less as the system gets more confident.

After one year, I took a look at how the system had performed in this (horribly long and detailed and nerdy) thread http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=565&t=42957. You will notice in the first two graphs how two sample players' ratings swung around to find the appropriate level earlier on and then dampened down.

Coincidentally, this weekend I am planning to run of the SECOND year analysis of the system just as I did after 12 months, in case there are others as sad as me who find this stuff interesting :geek: . So there will be a new post there, where I will look at similar things like current inflation/deflation status, results splits, etc.. I can't wait! :ugeek: :lol:
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby Jack007 » 27 Jan 2015, 15:01

Hm.. I have some reserves to what you write here. But okay, I gonna wait the new survey before entering the discussion.
Jack007 (3 Stars) stripped off all medals by the admiralty
Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
- Bushido (The book of the samurais)
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1183
All-game rating: 1551
Timezone: GMT+1

Previous

Return to Site Rules