encrypted in game messages

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Re: encrypted in game messages

Postby rick.leeds » 23 Jul 2014, 06:36

As has been said, we need to be able to read messages. We can use translate for non-English languages. Codes and encryption programmes are more difficult. Encryption programmes are definitely out, codes would be less of a problem.

Some players actually use different names for spaces, possibly because they are the names they are used to (do different spaces have different names in non-English versions of the board? Probably). I came across a game the other day where two players were talking about Bavaria :)
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby britneykay » 23 Jul 2014, 06:46

I suppose the real question is, is it really fair to sign up for a stuff happens game and intentionally alter your messages to undermine the stuff... happpening. It seems a little unethical only because you can decide whether or not to join a game with that setting enabled, and it is a grey area as far as rules are concerned. Though, I personally like the idea of pretending I am a spy and using code words, I can see how it would be problematic as far as fair play in the game goes.
britneykay

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1103)
All-game rating: (1111)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby rick.leeds » 23 Jul 2014, 07:02

I'm not sure how unethical it would be. Diplomacy, the game as well as the real thing, has a history of this sort of thing. It really isn't much different to altering the way you write certain things for one player to the way you write them for others...

For instance, in an anonymous game, you might sign you messages differently when addressing different powers. You might use different abbreviations when discussing orders with different powers. All in an attempt to befuddle the player who receives a forwarded message from another. An example would be when England writes to France thinking that France is keeping Germany informed. England might sign messages to France using "England" and messages to Germany using "HMG" (His Majesty's Government); England might use full names of spaces for France - "North Sea, Kiel" - but use abbreviations for Germany - "NTH, Kie"... and might use "NTS" for North Sea when writing to Russia!

I take what you're saying about Stuff Happens games, Brit, but I also think that players can do what they want, within the rules, to try and deal with the fact that things may be revealed... as well as doing what they can to confuse messages that may be forwarded being taken as gospel. All part of the fun and trickymindedness of the game (no, it doesn't exist... but it should!) :lol:
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby britneykay » 23 Jul 2014, 07:13

rick.leeds wrote:All part of the fun and trickymindedness of the game (no, it doesn't exist... but it should!) :lol:

Very true. Can't argue against trickymindedness I suppose. :lol:

So.. codes and encryption using a system set up in game is acceptable but an offsite encryption program is not. Is that the final call? I'm going to have to play some stuff happens games so I have an excuse to use the disappearing ink, fake mustache glasses, and magnifying glass I got in my detective kit..
britneykay

Postby rick.leeds » 23 Jul 2014, 08:51

Yep, you can't beat disappearing ink. And the old exploding message

Yep, I'll put something in the Site Rules about it. Not something I think we've had to consider before but Dipsy is absolutely right.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby asudevil » 23 Jul 2014, 14:55

I have set up a code for stuff happens games where we just numbered every space on the board so that no one knew what it was...decided it in our first messages and that way anything else that got leaked wouldn't mean anything.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season [url=http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56016[/url]
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1339
All-game rating: 1513
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby britneykay » 23 Jul 2014, 15:17

asudevil wrote:I have set up a code for stuff happens games where we just numbered every space on the board so that no one knew what it was...decided it in our first messages and that way anything else that got leaked wouldn't mean anything.

Do you switch the numbers around every game so people who have played against you before can't guess it?
britneykay

Postby asudevil » 23 Jul 2014, 15:26

britneykay wrote:
asudevil wrote:I have set up a code for stuff happens games where we just numbered every space on the board so that no one knew what it was...decided it in our first messages and that way anything else that got leaked wouldn't mean anything.

Do you switch the numbers around every game so people who have played against you before can't guess it?

Have only done it once...but I probably wouldn't...purely because the odds of it happening with the same person again are so little.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season [url=http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56016[/url]
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1339
All-game rating: 1513
Timezone: GMT-7

Previous

Return to Site Rules