House Rules - What is Cheating?

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Re: House Rules - What is Cheating?

Postby Vadra » 31 Aug 2010, 21:08

:geek: :geek: Wall of Text alert!! :ugeek: :ugeek:

Don't cheat. Evah. Cheating is just stupid.

Isn't there a Rate-a-retard section on the forum where they are named and shamed?
Vadra

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Waterice man » 31 Aug 2010, 21:25

Sort of. Rick (the moderator) posts any bannings, surrenderings and unrankings that he makes happen to games due to cheaters, who are always named.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

The word 'surrender' derives from old French
Waterice man

Timezone: GMT

Postby retard.in.denial » 01 Sep 2010, 09:22

Vadra wrote::geek: :geek: Wall of Text alert!! :ugeek: :ugeek:

Don't cheat. Evah. Cheating is just stupid.

Isn't there a Rate-a-retard section on the forum where they are named and shamed?

I'm NEVER will.
Me no cheaty =)

Named and Shamed in the cheaters forum... problem is, they're already banned by the time they're named and shamed, so whilst we sit here and go, tut tut dirty cheater (and probably think some slightly stronger things towards them too....), it doesn't make any difference to them what so ever, cause they're not around to see it... ah well.

Thanks, RiD.
Its cause I'm awesome.
retard.in.denial

Postby Pedros » 01 Sep 2010, 13:59

retard.in.denial wrote:Named and Shamed in the cheaters forum... problem is, they're already banned by the time they're named and shamed, so whilst we sit here and go, tut tut dirty cheater (and probably think some slightly stronger things towards them too....), it doesn't make any difference to them what so ever, cause they're not around to see it... ah well.

Thanks, RiD.

Not quite. If guilty of metagaming they initially get an explanation and warning, and are removed from the affected games.

If a multi, then yes they get banned, but they're not forbidden to come back under another name, older and, hopefully, wiser. There's at least one player who's a notorious ex-multi, now back and a member in good standing.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby rick.leeds » 10 Sep 2010, 12:34

Also, they are banned from games but not the Forum. Banning on the Forum is a totally different thing. The game section and the Forum section are linked but run independently of each other. So banned cheats can get onto the Forum to argue their case if it's necessary.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby Gen-Patton » 11 Sep 2010, 23:34

I don't know how you determine "cheating" but I've given my son my credit card info so he can purchase a premium membership.
He said it came back that the card number was already registered to another user.
Please don't think it was me trying to buy two memberships.
Gen-Patton

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rick.leeds » 12 Sep 2010, 14:05

No problem about that... it doesn't come up on the system I have access to ;)

Hope you've managed to get him on site.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tettenman » 22 Sep 2010, 20:32

Right, say I'm having a LAN-party and all of my friends bring their laptops along and 7 of us, during a moment of clarity in the alcohol-haze, decide to have a go at diplomacy online (being drunk while playing board games usually results in catastrophic failure and shit falling all over the place). In that case it'd seem as if I'd have 7 accounts playing 1 game, based on the fact they're all connected on the same IP.

Would that result in a quick smack of the banhammer or is it OK if you're all playing the same game and there's no other people involved? Or would that only go for nonranked games as it'd be the best way for a multi to score some quick points?
Tettenman

Class: Ambassador

Postby rick.leeds » 22 Sep 2010, 21:29

Seven accounts, one game, same IPs... will definitely lead to an investigation. It isn't unusual, as a number of schools and some offices use the site and IP addresses coincide fairly regularly, but it would be investigated. If the game was ranked or unranked makes no difference as far as multi-accounting is concerned. But IP addresses correlation isn't the only thing that we look for.

So, no, it wouldn't result in a ban, but yes we would look into it. For multi-accounting there is no slap on the wrist, though, only a ban. Genuine multi-accounting is patent cheating. Metagaming will not necessarily result in a ban.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tettenman » 22 Sep 2010, 21:37

rick.leeds wrote:Seven accounts, one game, same IPs... will definitely lead to an investigation. It isn't unusual, as a number of schools and some offices use the site and IP addresses coincide fairly regularly, but it would be investigated. If the game was ranked or unranked makes no difference as far as multi-accounting is concerned. But IP addresses correlation isn't the only thing that we look for.

So, no, it wouldn't result in a ban, but yes we would look into it. For multi-accounting there is no slap on the wrist, though, only a ban. Genuine multi-accounting is patent cheating. Metagaming will not necessarily result in a ban.

Righto, I'll be sure to send you a message if this situation occurs.
Tettenman

Class: Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Site Rules