Mentor Games

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Mentor Games

Postby twoangelgoats » 01 Jan 2018, 00:36

I'm in a mentor game at the moment and really enjoying it. I'm learning a lot but I don't think I'll be quite ready for real games yet when it finishes. Is it considered bad form to play in more than one mentor game?
twoangelgoats wrote: I am very proud of this gimmicky and pointless signature.
twoangelgoats

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (961)
All-game rating: (960)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Mentor Games

Postby asudevil » 01 Jan 2018, 02:26

The goal of a mentor game is just to learn the rules and the interface. Just jump in and go make a game. Maybe post your game on the forum to try and get some people around here involved.

But don't do another mentor game...you will learn just as much from a regular game as the mentor game.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1366
All-game rating: 1535
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby twoangelgoats » 01 Jan 2018, 03:01

asudevil wrote:The goal of a mentor game is just to learn the rules and the interface. Just jump in and go make a game. Maybe post your game on the forum to try and get some people around here involved.

But don't do another mentor game...you will learn just as much from a regular game as the mentor game.

Ah, okay. Thank you!
twoangelgoats

Postby Cardlinger » 01 Jan 2018, 04:26

As I added on the separate thread, volunteer to be a 'standby' for future mentor games: that way, if a new player surrenders/quits, then you can fill in that gap in the game, keeping it balanced. then you're getting extra mentor games under your belt, albeit not from Spring 1901 much of the time.

I think I've mentor-subbed-in about as many as ranked games I've played!

Best,
Cardlinger
Cardlinger

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1093)
All-game rating: (1106)

Postby twoangelgoats » 01 Jan 2018, 04:47

Cardlinger wrote:As I added on the separate thread, volunteer to be a 'standby' for future mentor games: that way, if a new player surrenders/quits, then you can fill in that gap in the game, keeping it balanced. then you're getting extra mentor games under your belt, albeit not from Spring 1901 much of the time.

I think I've mentor-subbed-in about as many as ranked games I've played!

Best,
Cardlinger

Thank you, I like that idea!
twoangelgoats

Postby edmgrim » 01 Jan 2018, 05:41

FWIW, the description of the mentor games includes words to the effect that experienced players seeking help in improving their game are welcome to join.

I would not recommend joining a new mentor game immediately after finishing one. But after maybe 4 or5 regular games, if you are recognizing a particular weakness or trend, you might join one so that you can get feedback from the teacher.

To be fair to the newbies, though, I would always alert the teacher in advance and get approval.
edmgrim

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1049
All-game rating: 1057
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby twoangelgoats » 01 Jan 2018, 14:04

edmgrim wrote:FWIW, the description of the mentor games includes words to the effect that experienced players seeking help in improving their game are welcome to join.

I would not recommend joining a new mentor game immediately after finishing one. But after maybe 4 or5 regular games, if you are recognizing a particular weakness or trend, you might join one so that you can get feedback from the teacher.

To be fair to the newbies, though, I would always alert the teacher in advance and get approval.

Okay, thank you!
twoangelgoats

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use