Throwing/trolling games

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Throwing/trolling games

Postby Astrup » 21 Oct 2017, 19:26

Just had an experience of a player acting - in my view - unsportsmanlike.

It's in a game, where a player is on his way to soloing, and the rest of us would have to fight him to stop. One players suddenly just makes a nonsensical move away from defending his own centers that the leader is moving forward to try to take. The player instead just moves away and takes a center from another player on our side, and then just surrender no explanation at all.

I don't really know what to do in these situations. It completely destroys a whole game, that you have spent a lot of time on.
Astrup

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1080
All-game rating: 1078
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Throwing/trolling games

Postby asudevil » 21 Oct 2017, 19:29

Kingmaking...someone who has decided they want a specific player to win.

It's not against the rules...its allowed...its annoying...but that guy must have diplomacied his way to getting the guy to do it...so its allowed.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season [url=http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56016[/url]
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1355
All-game rating: 1525
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby TiberiusG58 » 21 Oct 2017, 20:51

Would behavior as described above be considered sufficient grounds to investigate possible multi-accounting?
TiberiusG58
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1170
All-game rating: 1176
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 21 Oct 2017, 21:17

TiberiusG58 wrote:Would behavior as described above be considered sufficient grounds to investigate possible multi-accounting?

In itself, no.

Imagine I am a player in a game, and somehow one player talks me into letting her win (maybe she tells me he loves my hair, or I look like I've lost weight). I decide to do so. Or maybe I do it because I am just fed up and want the game to end. Is that annoying / irritating / maddening to the others? Yes, absolutely. Is it a sign I am cheating? No.

HOWEVER, it may prove an incentive to for example check out how often the two players play together. If they HAVE played together before, you might look at the games. If this is a pattern, with one player giving the other the win and then vice versa, that is highly likely to be cheating!

Note that we would expect this type of research to be done BEFORE reporting it :) - in other words, you have to do some work too! ;)
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Postby condude1 » 22 Oct 2017, 10:13

For the record, it's sometimes the best play to partially throw a game! If you're a small power, I find the best way of scoring is to make one other guy very, very big - to the point of almost soloing. If you thread the needle just right, he gets shut down at 17 or so. If you don't, you lose, but you were probably going to lose anyways!
Tarsier wrote:
condude1 wrote:So, when you open your eyes in the morning of Day 2, and everyone's there, what can you conclude DIDN'T happen last night? What then MUST have happened last night?

Wait, how is it that, when condude1 joins the thread, it suddenly becomes a Mafia game??

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: 1368
All-game rating: 1307
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Eleusinian » 22 Oct 2017, 23:42

condude1 wrote:For the record, it's sometimes the best play to partially throw a game! If you're a small power, I find the best way of scoring is to make one other guy very, very big - to the point of almost soloing. If you thread the needle just right, he gets shut down at 17 or so. If you don't, you lose, but you were probably going to lose anyways!

True, though mixing that with a surrender is a particularly bold strategy. ;-)
Eleusinian

Standard rating: 961
All-game rating: 957
Timezone: GMT

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use