Games impacted by cheating

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Games impacted by cheating

Postby Martialist » 21 Sep 2017, 16:57

Following a successful cheating investigation that led to accounts being suspended for multi-accounting, one month later, I find my ranking still negatively affected by my loss in a game directly involved in this case. I recall reading somewhere in the Forum that such games are de-ranked. Am I wrong?
Martialist
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1639
All-game rating: 1654
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Games impacted by cheating

Postby WHSeward » 21 Sep 2017, 17:08

All games are not unranked due to accounts cheating, rather the cheater hunters make a judgment on each game whether the cheating impacted the result of the game in question. If you have a specific game that you would like them to reconsider, post in the Cheater forum for a review.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1633
All-game rating: 1647
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby WarSmith » 21 Sep 2017, 21:19

This is one of my cases and just looking at a couple of the games again now I think Martialist has a point.
The investigation went on for a while after the initial ban as we tried to ascertain the level and comsistency of the cheating and where it occurred, and there were a lot of games affected. But there are a couple of completed games I can see there where I perhaps should've unranked and somehow initially missed. Perhaps it was the sheer scale of this case.
I'm responding in my mobile now - will have more time to look into this tomorrow. Thanks for alerting me to it!
I'll lock the thread for now and post in the cheaters forum when I'm done.
Like WHS says though - it's not a given that a de-rank is the most appropriate action, we'll judge each case on its merits and try to be fair.
All the best,
WS.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1730
All-game rating: 1765
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby WarSmith » 21 Sep 2017, 21:37

I managed to do everything i needed to on my phone :)
I also posted in the cheaters forum.
Thanks for the warning! All fixed now and you should notice your stats improve.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1730
All-game rating: 1765
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby gareth66 » 28 Sep 2017, 17:24

Just to add to what has been said, the decision to unrank is based on a judgement about the impact that cheating has had on a game. We don't do it automatically just because cheaters were found in a game - they may have been inept cheaters, or caught early enough to minimise damage. But if a cheater wins as a direct result of cheating, or if at least one innocent player has had their game fundamentally destroyed as a direct result of the cheating, that is when we will unrank.
gareth66

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use