DixieCon - late May

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

Re: DixieCon - late May

Postby Carebear » 17 Apr 2017, 23:29

DQ wrote:For the last few years I've stayed around the corner at a hotel, easy walking distance or there is plenty of parking at the site if you are going to drive.

Which hotel? That may impact my decision. WDC was a great event, but dorm room accommodations are not my thing.

DQ wrote:If you are considering going but are on the fence, reach out to me please! I'm part of an effort in the F2F crowd to get more online players to show up for events. I'll definitely support you into Belgium!

Great! I definitely think the hobby benefits from reaching out to the online community. I appreciate your effort to spread the word about the Online Diplomacy Championship. I have been encouraging the online crowd to come out to FTF events too.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby DQ » 18 Apr 2017, 13:28

Stab you soon!
DQ

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby DQ » 18 Apr 2017, 13:31

nopunin10did wrote:
DQ wrote:Word to the wise, though - the housing is in the Dorm above the gaming area. Zero noise factor, kids are all gone at that point, but think youth hostel-level of accommodations. For the last few years I've stayed around the corner at a hotel, easy walking distance or there is plenty of parking at the site if you are going to drive.

To be fair, Granville Towers is not quite a normal dormitory. It's a formerly privately-owned building that originally pitched itself as a better alternative to the official UNC dorms. At some point, UNC picked up ownership, but it's still managed somewhat separately from its normal student housing. It's not the fanciest of places, but the group rate David has secured is quite good.

It's not quite to the level of a Youth Hostel. A pair of rooms might share a bathroom, but it's not like having one massive restroom for the whole hallway. And you don't have to split your room with anyone else if you don't choose to.

That is fair - I more wanted people who might think "Wow, $25 a night is an amazing rate, and right on site as well!" to be caveating their emptor. When I stayed at Granville (which is clean, and quiet) I always brought a sleeping bag, because you never knew quite what the combination of NC weather and air conditioning was going to bring.

None of which should discourage anyone from coming! I love the way Dixie is priced.
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby AleBelly » 19 Apr 2017, 00:08

I'd consider myself on the fence. I think I can do it from a scheduling perspective, but I'm relatively new to the game. It would actually be my first time playing in person. I imagine I'd be at a distinct disadvantage...
AleBelly
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1042
All-game rating: 1048
Timezone: GMT

Postby Carebear » 19 Apr 2017, 00:41

Ya gotta pop that cherry sometime.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby DQ » 19 Apr 2017, 04:10

Agreed. Of all the places to start playing F2F, Dixie has a lot to recommend it. A slower pace of game than a lot of tournaments, and it is easy to find other games to play if you are eliminated early. Great, friendly people make it the one tournament I make a point of going to every year if at all possible.
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby AleBelly » 19 Apr 2017, 20:54

Alright, you've talked me into it.

Cheers
Shannon
AleBelly
Premium Member

Postby DQ » 01 Jun 2017, 16:51

Were you there? Did I miss you?!? :D
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby AleBelly » 02 Jun 2017, 21:10

No, unfortunately some last minute plans came up and I couldn't make it. Quite regrettably. It's on my calendar for next year though. Sounds like it was a good time!
AleBelly
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Face-to-Face